Echobode Cause Bitwig to Hang

sss ttt391 views21 posts
  • sss ttt

When I instantiate Echobode, Bitwig 2.2.1 hangs. This behavior is intermittent, but occurs more often than not.

• Magnus Lidström

Ouch. Not good. Time to upgrade my copy of Bitwig then.

Windows or Mac?

Did you have a chance to try any of our other plug-ins? Do they work?

• sss ttt

I have the same problem with both the 32 bit and 64bit versions. Windows 10, Bitwig 2.2.2

I don't experience the same problem on my macs.

• sss ttt

Bitspeek seems to work fine.

• Magnus Lidström

Haven't been able to reproduce on Mac or Windows 7. But still have to test Windows 10.

Is there any particular pattern to when it works and when it doesn't?

I just keep adding, removing, adding, removing, and that has been working fine this far.

• amp

I'm having some weird behavior with Echobode in Bitwig 2.1.4 as well. Turning the main shift knob intermittently causes preset changes (?!) with the preset names being seemingly random strings.

I know this sounds really, really weird - will look more into it. I'm on Windows 10 Pro (fall creators update) x64

• Fredrik Lidström

Trying Bitwig 2.2.2 on my Windows 10, but not been able to reproduce the problem yet. Does it do this in a completely new empty project with just an Echobode instance? Is it only when the DAW is in play mode or always?

• amp

No longer able to reproduce myself.

You might chalk this up to Bitwig - I'm finding it to be generally unreliable with plugins that do work in other hosts...

• sss ttt

Just tried adding Echobode to a track and was reminded how good this plugin sounds! I'll see if I can make it hang...

• sss ttt

Damn. Never explored the modulation folder of presets. There is some great stuff in there.

• sss ttt

I've been playing with Echobode lately and haven't had any problems. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm happy!

• sss ttt

Crash came back. I was experimenting with randomly generated presets before it crashed and now I notice every time I load the plugin, it loads with one of the random presets.

• sss ttt

When I try to close the plugin, I get an error dialog saying the bitwig audio engine is not responding and asks if I want to close the program or wait.

• sss ttt

I chose to close the program and Bitwig's audio Engine was turned off. I restarted the engine and changed the preset and the plugin worked. I then closed the plugin, re-instantiated it and it crashed again

• amp

Here's the weird behaviour I had earlier again as attachment GIF.

I'm turning knobs and every turn seems to randomize all knobs at the same time.

echobode.gif

This happens intermittently. After I close my DAW, restart and reload a new instance of echobode this does not necessarily happen again. Maybe about 50% of the time.

• Fredrik Lidström

Wow, that looks quite bad. Did you also contact Bitwig support with this?

• amp

This behaviour pops up in both Reaper and Bitwig (the only 2 daw's I use), so no, I didn't.

The strange thing is also that I've been using Echobode pretty much since its release and this is the first time I'm seeing this.It coincides with my new installation of Windows 10 LTSB 2016 (64-bit), but other than that... really hard to say what could be causing this.

Does the random string in the preset name indicate anything?

• Fredrik Lidström

Oh, sorry, I thought it was a Bitwig only problem. Was hard to see in that little GIF, but does it constantly make new random strings or is it cycling through the same? Does it only happen when you drag knobs or also when you click flip switches or anywhere in the window?

• amp

Yes, I'm sorry, the first times this came up it seemingly only appeared in Bitwig so I assumed it was a DAW problem, but I've seen it a few times in Reaper as well.

The strange thing seems to be that the whole OS seems to be in a mode where this problem either occurs or doesn't. Like right now I've started and restared both Bitwig and Reaper multiple times and the bug has not shown up. But if I restart maybe a couple of times I can sort of get "an instance" of Windows where this error comes up in both DAW's.

I'm fairly certain that all the strings were random and it was not looping a set. That, or the looped set was so large that it was not noticeable. It did occur on switch flips as well.

EDIT: It does not occur when clicking on empty panel space in the plugin UI.

Anyway, this is very mysterious, I'm sorry I can't track it down better. Might be so strange as to not warrant wasting more time on hunting down, you guys have so many more cool projects and ideas to develop :)

• amp

I actually haven't even tried a deinstall/reinstall of Echobode, so that might fix it as well.

PS: Could this possibly have something to do with misplaced / missing presets?

• Fredrik Lidström

It sounds like you have a bad installation for some reason. I have seen something similar before on Mac, but that was due to the user running some disk space utility that damaged the binary by stripping data. A reinstall could help fix the problem. When reinstalling, do an uninstallation first, then start your host to make sure that the plugin is gone. After that, do a new install.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.