Step-Rate Microtonic Automation Problem.

Isaac Fàbregas Fernández397 views7 posts
  • Isaac Fàbregas Fernández

Hi guys!

Firstly, thanks you very much for your stuff, very exciting and inspiring in my case!
    I have a problem with step-rate automation in Microtonic.

I am working in Logic with an Microtonic multi instance; attached you'll find the two screenshots referred to this issue.

If I work with Microtonic in play mode it follows perfectly the step-rate automation.
    Although, if I try to import de midi file "Drag and drop midi file to host option in Microtonic" it doesn't. Don't mind if, when I drag de file into Logic, I import also the data time or don't.

Thanks in advance.
    Isaac Fàbregas

Captura de pantalla 2017-07-16 a las 6.58.45.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-07-16 a las 7.10.44.png
  • Fredrik Lidström

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly. When you export or drag and drop the MIDI from Microtonic it is the "raw" pattern from the internal pattern engine that is exported. Any automation that your host does on top of that is not included.

If you need the automation to remain, you will have to keep the Microtonic instance there. You can turn off the audio and let it feed MIDI out data to something else if needed.

• Magnus Lidström

If you need the automation to remain, you will have to keep the Microtonic instance there. You can turn off the audio and let it feed MIDI out data to something else if needed.

Not in Logic unfortunately. AU doesn't have midi out. Good idea otherwise. With the VST, in Ableton or something, you can record the exact notes that Microtonic is generating incl. automation to step-rate etc, into another MIDI track.

• Fredrik Lidström

Doh, of course, slipped my mind AUs don't do MIDI out.

Hi Fredrik,
    If I understand you, the only possibility that I have to remain my daw automation when I drag and drop the internal midi file from Microtonic is:

"Record the automation in other Midi track in other Daw as Ableton that manages VST protocol,
    and after this, import the new midi track with its automation data in Logic...

Am I right?

Thanks

• Fredrik Lidström

The MIDI drag from Microtonic will only export the programmed pattern. Your step-rate automation is controlled by Logic. Are you going to control a different instrument with the MIDI data? If you really need the pattern (including your step-rate changes) as MIDI notes, then yes, you will have to create it in a different host. For example, if you load Microtonic into Live and recreate the step-rate automation, you can record the MIDI notes into a separate MIDI track. This MIDI data can then be exported and used in Logic.

Hi Fredrik, yes, I need the pattern.
    I am only going to control Microtonic. (But I don't understand why this is important in this issue)
    I understand the rest, but this is a little hard.
    Maybe, It could be possible to load the Microtonic vst version in Logic thought specific App as VST Lord, jBridgeM....and then, with the VST version load, It would be able to record notes and automation.

What do you think about this?

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.